:: WKKG Local News ::

North Park Dentistry

Sellersburg Man Arrested Following Standoff with Police

A Sellersburg man who shot a Clark County deputy and killed a police K-9 during a nearly 10-hour standoff with police Monday in Sellersburg is now in custody.

Indiana State Police say 31-year-old Joshua L. Priddy was finally taken into custody around 9:30 Monday night. He is lodged in the Clark County Jail on charges of attempted murder of a police officer, causing the death of a law enforcement animal, burglary, residential entry, pointing a firearm and criminal recklessness with a firearm.

Officials say between 11:30 a.m. and noon Monday Sellersburg Police responded to a domestic call in the 800 block of Iowa St. in Sellersburg. When the Sellersburg officer arrived in the area, he was confronted by Priddy who pointed a handgun at the officer. The officer took cover and shortly thereafter the suspect fled the area on foot and a foot pursuit ensued. The suspect attempted to gain entry into a couple of homes in the neighborhood where he finally entered the house at 712 E. Delaware St. There was no one home at the time.

Sellersburg Police had called for assistance and Trooper Nathan Abbott along with his K-9 partner, Kilo arrived at the scene. Kilo entered the home first followed by several officers and shortly thereafter there was gunfire. The officers retreated from the home but Kilo did not exit. At this point a standoff ensued. Officers from several area police agencies responded to the scene and secured the area. Two Indiana State Police SWAT teams along with a Clark County SWAT team also arrived on the scene.

Police tried to talk to Priddy all afternoon, but were unsuccessful. Also during the standoff a robot with a camera mounted to it was deployed inside the home. The robot located the suspect inside however the suspect fired several rounds at the robot disabling the camera. The suspect also fired rounds at officers outside the residence wounding a Clark County Sheriff’s Deputy. The deputy was subsequently evacuated from the scene and flown to University Hospital in Louisville with non life-threatening injuries.

After it was determined attempts to negotiate with the suspect were not going to be effective, SWAT teams deployed numerous rounds of teargas inside the residence. Priddy then surrendered to officers ending the standoff.

Last Updated: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:00:36 AM

More Headlines

Advantage Partners

WKKG • A White River Broadcasting Station • Mailing Address ~ P.O. 1789 Columbus, IN 47202
Studio ~ 3212 Washington Street Columbus, Indiana  47203
PH: 812-372-4448 • WKKG Studio Line: 812-376-1015 • Toll Free Studio Line: 1-877-269-1015 • email: