:: WKKG Local News ::
Congressmann Luke Messer has released a list of services that will remain available during the government shutdown.
Messer says he want to make sure Hoosiers in the Sixth District know that essential services for national security and public safety will continue. He adds that you will still receive your social security benefits and veterans will continue to get the care and compensation they have earned.
Many other critical services will continue as well:
· Medicare services for current beneficiaries
· Unemployment benefits
· SNAP benefits through October
· Department of Defense hospitals and schools
· Operations overseas
· Payments to active duty military
· Veterans health services including clinics and other medical facilities
· Air traffic control, prison security and border patrol
· Law enforcement and criminal investigations
· Emergency and disaster assistance
Messer and other House Republicans Wednesday night voted to keep two more essential services running during the funding lapse.
The Open Our National Parks and Museums Act offers immediate funding for the National Park Service, Smithsonian, National Gallery of Art, and the United States Holocaust Museum.
The Research for Lifesaving Cures Act gives immediate funding for the National Institutes of Health at the same rate as last year.
Messer says these bills will ensure funding for our National Park Service and the National Institutes of Health. He went on to say that disagreements over Obamacare should not keep us from funding other critical government services.
Last Updated: Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:29:22 AM
WKKG • A
White River Broadcasting Station • Mailing Address ~ P.O. 1789 Columbus, IN 47202