:: WKKG Local News ::
The Columbus Fire Department is releasing the following information about supplemental heat sources as a blast of cold weather is headed our way.
Columbus Fire Department Spokesman Capt. Mike Wilson says you should check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors at regular intervals. As the temperature continues to fall, you should also consider the following safety precautions when using additional sources of heat.
For a Wood Stove:
· Check to ensure that your chimney is clean and in good repair.
· Creosote, a crusty deposit left behind by smoke, can ignite into a dangerous fire.
· Burn only clean, well-seasoned wood that has been split and dried properly.
· Use only paper or kindling wood, not flammable liquid, to start the fire.
· Check for blockages - all chimneys and stove pipes must be visually inspected. A creosote build-up, animal nest or collapsed liner may not allow toxic gas to escape properly.
· Carbon Monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas. It is called the silent killer because victims are not even aware of its presence - until it is too late! Always have your chimney cleaned and inspected before using it and check your Carbon Monoxide Detector.
For Space Heaters:
· Keep combustibles and other items at least 3 feet from space heaters. This includes clothing, bedding and drapes.
· Turn off heaters when you leave the room.
· Inspect for cracked cords or loose connections before using. Only plug power cords into outlets with sufficient capacity and never use an extension cord.
· Never store flammable or combustible liquids near or in rooms with heaters.
· Use the proper fuel for your liquid fueled space heaters.
· Refuel in a well-ventilated area only when equipment is cool.
· Turn of space heaters when going to bed to avoid knocking over in the dark.
· Never use Generators inside.
· Place emergency generators outdoors away from windows and doors to prevent fumes from entering the home.
· Have working CO (Carbon monoxide) detectors that will sound when dangerous carbon monoxide is present.
· Do not use a gas cooking range as heat source.
Last Updated: Saturday, January 04, 2014 5:31:29 AM
WKKG • A
White River Broadcasting Station • Mailing Address ~ P.O. 1789 Columbus, IN 47202