:: WKKG Local News ::

North Park Dentistry

County Commissioners agree to radio upgrade

Bartholomew County will soon be updating its communications system between police, fire and other first responders. Ed Reuter, Director of the Bartholomew County Emergency Operations Center, says the Bartholomew County Commissioners gave their approval for the update on Monday.

Reuter says the current system, which was designed in the 1980s and installed in 2001, is outdated. He also noted that parts and key components are no longer being manufactured. Reuter says taking no action would likely negatively affect public safety, up to the point of being dangerous. He says that if the current system fails, Bartholomew County could move back to an old analogue system, which would allow elementary communication within the county. However, communication with other counties would be greatly limited.

Reuter says the entire state is moving to this new system over the next two years. However, the Versailles District of the Indiana State Police, which includes Bartholomew County, is the first area to begin implementation. Reuter says he expects Bartholomew County to be fully upgraded by the end of this year, or early 2015.

The cost of the upgrade is approximately $529,000 and includes a five-year maintenance agreement. Reuter says that the overall cost is about $100,000 less than it could have been, thanks to negotiations and price cuts provided by Motorola and Owens Communications. He adds that under the current agreement between the county and the city of Columbus, this expense will be split. Columbus will cover 55 percent of the total cost, while Bartholomew County will cover the remaining 45 percent.
Last Updated: Monday, August 04, 2014 5:14:17 PM

More Headlines

Advantage Partners

WKKG • A White River Broadcasting Station • Mailing Address ~ P.O. 1789 Columbus, IN 47202
Studio ~ 3212 Washington Street Columbus, Indiana  47203
PH: 812-372-4448 • WKKG Studio Line: 812-376-1015 • Toll Free Studio Line: 1-877-269-1015 • email: